Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ketchup...? Catsup...? Catch-up...?

Are you here to solve my ketchup, catsup, catch-up problem?

(I think my brothers are the only ones who'll get that one...)

Alright. Hiatus over. Let’s see how quick I can run through the past month since arriving back in Ghana. This going to be a very short, fairly boring update. Get excited?

First things first, I ended up getting a promotion before coming back, which means I am now a full-time SALARIED employee…which is terrific. I’m a big girl now, see my big girl shoes. The promotion only added to my responsibilities, so in addition to doing the job I was doing before, I am now going to stakeholder meetings (scary!), doing a lot of networking, and trying to find new local partners in Ghana = I’m a busy little babushka. But that suits me just fine :)

I was very much expecting to find an ugly-bug ball (gotta crawl gotta crawl) in full swing when I arrived back at my apartment, but I only found a few doing the cucaracha when I got back. I DID however, have a lack of electricity (I got back around 11pm), which made unpacking quite an adventure. I also arrived back in Ghana was a mere 10hr head start on my company’s President! I was soooo nervous for his visit, but everything went fine. He was only here for three days, and we had such a jam-packed schedule, full of meetings with various people all over Accra, that I just plum didn’t have time to make a fool out of myself. Oh well, maybe next time.

Let’s see. What else what else. Oh! My computer died three days after the President left (one WEEK after getting back to Ghana!), which is partially why I have not been blogging recently. And I STILL don’t have my laptop back. I’ve been using a borrowed computer. Supposedly it will be fixed by next Thursday. But I’ve heard that before.

Another cool thing that happened…well, cool might only be applicable if you’re a nerd like me. Anyway, the government of Ghana put together an AIDS Expo, where all local organizations who are working on the AIDS epidemic could put together little displays of what they’ve been doing. It was a three day event, but on the last day, the Executive director of UNAIDS, Michel Sidibe, came to the expo. After he had a chance to look at various booths, he held a meeting with a small group of organization representatives; I got to be one of them. Not only that, I got to meet him! He came right up to me after the meeting and asked about what I was doing in Ghana. SO cooool. I know I’m a geek, but hey, if the UN was a rock band, Michel Sidibe would be the drummer. Or at least the tambourine player…the UN is a large organization…

Other than that it’s just been mostly work work work.

And that brings us up to the present! Or as close to the present as I have time to go right now. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep the matzo ball rolling this weekend. Happy Purim :)

P.S. I'm converting Capitals fans wherever I go! (Because everyone cares about ice hockey in Ghana...right)

No comments:

Post a Comment